Enough of all the Royal Wedding for the moment. What about MY weddding? Nine years this year, unbelievably. And in that time, yes- there are things that I would now do differently. So thankyou Katekakes5, for this week on Listography we are being given the chance to go back in time and change 5 things about our own weddings. Right.
1. I would not invite the neighbour from back home who ended up getting realy drunk, upsetting all the women and forcing my mum to drive him home early and make me cry.
2. I would invite more family. I only had my parents and sisters and now I wish the rest had been there. It was also up north and I wish we’d done it down south to accommodate more of my family too.
3. A dress. I wore a beautiful (I thought) outfit which was a top and skirt but now I wish I had gone for the big dress. I wanted to wear trainers at the time so at least I did manage to get down the aisle with appropriate footwear but still… if I did it again I would make sure my outfit screamed BRIDE!!!!
4. Photographer. We didn’t have one, not really. My husband’s uncle took the photos and while they turned out really nice, we didn’t get to see them first. When we returned from our honeymoon my mother-in-law had already earmarked the ones she liked best and I *think* there were copies in frames before the plane even touched down on UK soil…
5. Reception. We hired a room at a pub for £40 and now I wish we’d had more of a party. But we were young and we didn’t want a big do. We did exactly what we wanted and at the time that was perfect. Now, though, I know how quickly it goes and how soon you wish you’d gone all out to celebrate in style. Also, we have more money now so…
To my husband, I wouldn’t REALLY change much about our wedding. We had so much fun and I genuinely look back and feel proud that we did it so simply. I still believe that weddings can cost so much in time, money and effort and I still believe that all the formalities are a little too conservative. The above is a wish-list and nothing more.