If I’d been holding my breath since my son was born, today I finally exhaled once and for all. After weeks of projectile vomiting and hours of sceaming in pain, my son was put on medication to ease his symptoms. At the age of thirteen weeks he was on 3 maximum doses of Domperidone, 3 maximum doses of Ranitidine and a dose of Omeprazole. We saw a cranial osteopath, we were referred to the peadiatrician and we were told he would grow out of it. Eventually, the vomiting began to decrease and the baby began to put weight on. He even started to follow a line on the growth chart which was amazing to see after he had been so poorly.
As we weaned him, my son began to have extreme reactions to certain foods- parsnips, cheese, yogurt, tomatoes. We were suddenly restricted with a baby who refused to eat after suffering so much pain. We were referred to a dietitian and the baby was prescribed lactose free milk. I’ve blogged about his eating. Its practially non-existent at fourteen months *but* it IS getting better. He’s starting to show an interest.
When my son was thirteen months old, they FINALLY agreed to do tests. After my poor baby screaming for hours following one bite of his own birthday cake, violently vomiting after eating a little grated cheese… after all the months of pain, anxiety, agony and fear. They stuck some needles in his little arms, requested some poo (nice!) and FINALLY finally we got the diagnosis.
My son is lactose intolerant. I can’t tell you the relief I’m feeling right now as we were so worried he would be coeliac. I think we wil cope with lactose intolerant, especially since most children grow out of it. But now I have a dilemma…
In September I have to return to work full time, unless I find work elsewhere. The consultant doesn’t want to see us again for anoher six months because the baby is doing so well. We’re hopeful he will be discharged. I’m thinking now that perhaps I CAN return to work full time. But I don’t NEED to. I don’t know what to do for the best. I love being with my son and I know that I am so lucky to be able to do it. But being a part time teacher is not easy and sharing a class is really difficult. I never thought I would be able to work full time again but now I’m not sure he needs me quite so much as I thought he did. He’s ok.
So I need to decide: do I return full time and make the most of the extra money at weekends and holidays, whilst at the same time getting my grip back on my job? Or do I strive to stay part time and thank my lucky stars that we can afford to do it while the children are young? What would you do?